IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition is the open source version of IntelliJ IDEA, a premier IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for Java, Groovy and other programming languages such as Scala or Clojure.
The Community Edition includes:
- An Intelligent code editor that has all the smarts for understanding Java, XML and Groovy code
- Refactorings, code inspections and intentions, super-fast navigation and search
- Testing frameworks integration: JUnit and TestNG
- Build tools support: Ant and Maven
- Popular version control systems integration: CVS, Subversion and Git
- Swing UI designer
IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition can be downloaded at no cost and is open for contributions by community members. The product is built on top of the IntelliJ Platform, which is fully open source.
JetBrains leverages the open source effort on JetBrains.org to build commercial products such as IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate, which includes many Java EE, Web development and deployment-related features that are not available in IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition. JetBrains also builds different specific products such as RubyMine, WebStorm, PhpStorm, PyCharm, AppCode and MPS, which serve the needs of different developer communities. These products are also built on top of the open source IntelliJ Platform.
See the complete list of features available in IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition and the differences between IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition and IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.